Here’s How to Care for Your Philodendron Moonshine
Jan 21, 2023
The Philodendron Moonshine is a tropical hybrid plant, with fluorescent green leaves shaped like spears. It is an easy-to-care plant that will brighten up just about any indoor space.
The Moonshine plant gets its name from the way the leaves look while unfurling - it appears to be white and luminescent like the moon before it matures and turns green.
The Philodendron Moonshine is known to purify the air of toxic chemicals, and is a great stress buster, making it an ideal houseplant. It can grow moderately fast, up to 20-24 inches in height, with indirect sunlight and sufficient water. Give it what it needs, and you will have with you a successful Moonshine plant!
How to Care for a Philodendron Moonshine?
Caring for Your Philodendron Moonshine
If you have decided to take this lime-green beauty home, here are a few care tips you need to know:
- Potting: This vibrant plant can handle the indoor environment well enough to thrive. Make sure your planters have a drainage hole to prevent root rot. If you see roots growing out of the planter, shift it to a bigger planter (you would need to do this every year or two, until it reaches its peak). After it reaches its peak, all you need to do is freshen up its soil once in a while.
- Water: Wait for the topsoil to dry out between watering so that your plant would not be sitting in standing water (which again would cause root rot!). That being said, your plant would have stunted growth if underwatered. Do a touch test for the topsoil and if it feels dry, it's time to water your plant.
- Light: The Philodendron Moonshine thrives with bright indirect light. It would also benefit from being exposed to the early morning sun for about 2-3 hours (but not the scorching afternoon sun!). You would know that your plant is not getting sufficient light if you notice stunted growth or leggy leaves.
- Humidity: The Philodendron Moonshine is native to Central and South America. So, while adjusting the humidity levels for your plant, do keep in mind that you are trying to emulate the rainforests of these areas. If you are living in an area with low humidity, consider opting for a home humidifier.
- Temperature: Since this is a tropical plant, it would benefit more from warmer temperatures. Place them near a window that gets at least 3 hours of indirect sunlight daily. Also, don't place it next to any air-conditioning vents, as it is not a fan of the cold, nor is it a fan of quick changes in temperatures.
- Pruning: Philodendron Moonshine does not require regular pruning, since it is not a vine or a climber. It stays compact and short in its shape. You may simply snip off any discoloured leaves so that your plant looks healthy and pretty.
Common Problems with a Philodendron Moonshine
Philodendron Moonshine attracts the usual plant pests and insects. Frequently wiping down the leaves and dusting, along with spraying neem oil should help keep most of them at bay:
- Spider Mites: If you notice brown or yellow spots on the leaves of your plant, then you may have spider mites on your plant, which is usually common with Moonshine. You would also notice spider webs on your plant. Wipe down the leaves frequently and spray them with neem oil to eradicate any bugs.
- Parasites: Mealybugs, scale insects, and aphids are commonly found on these plants. Neem oil, or any other natural insecticide, usually helps with most of these.
- Brown Leaf Tips or Yellow leaves: Over-fertilizations or under-watering can lead to brown leaf tips. Insufficient lighting would lead to yellow leaves.
- Drooping Leaves: If your plant is experiencing root rot or pest infestation, you would notice drooping leaves. It could also be a sign of insufficient plant food.
- Root Rot: Root rot is one of the common diseases of Philodendron Moonshine. Since this is difficult to treat, it is best to prevent root rot from the beginning. Provide adequate drainage to your planter to prevent overwatering, so that your plant would not be sitting in standing water for long periods.
Philodendron Moonshine has beautiful neon-green leaves that resemble spears and is an adorable hybrid plant for your home. Place it away from pets and children, in a nice shaded spot, or on a top ledge to give a pop of colour to your walls.
Planters recommended for Your Philodendron Moonshine Plant
Discover more planters for your Philodendron Moonshine Plant